The Doctoral School, University of Science and Technology of Hanoi calls applications for the second wave in 2022 of the Doctoral Program in the following fields
- Pharmacological, Medical and Agronomical Biotechnology
- Advanced Material Science and Nanotechnology
- Water – Environment – Oceanography
- Information Technology and Communication
- Space and Applications
University of Science and Technology of Hanoi (USTH) – Vietnam France University is an advanced-model international public university established in 2009, based on an Intergovernmental Agreement between Vietnam and France. The doctoral training program at USTH was developed by Vietnamese and French scientists based on the demand of society and prioritized research fields at USTH.
In the doctoral program at USTH PhD students will have the opportunity to study in an international environment of modern laboratories, to work with French and Vietnamese scientists as well as with renowned experts in the world. Upon graduation, the PhD students are awarded the USTH doctoral diploma which is internationally recognized. At USTH, PhD students play a vital role in the scientific life and will be able to do the research and create new values serving for the development of USTH, the society and the scientific community.
Training duration: The PhD training program is conducted in the form of full time education which is 3 years for students holding a Master degree and 4 years for students holding a Bachelor degree.
Requirements for applications
- Applicant must hold a Master degree in the field of application or a field relevant to the field of application; or applicant holds a Bachelor degree with very good grade in the field of application or a field relevant to the field of application.
- Applicant has experiences in doing research, which is demonstrated by his/her graduation thesis of a research Master program; or a published scientific article or report; or his/her working experience of at least 2 years as a lecturer or researcher of educational, scientific and technological institutions.
- Applicant must hold one of the following certificates of English language
- TOEFL iBT with score 46 or higher;
- IELTS with score 5.5 or higher;
- Cambridge Assessment English: B2 First/B2 Business Vantage/Linguaskill with score 160 or higher;
- Other foreign language certificates equivalent to level 4 of the 6-level Foreign Language Proficiency Framework for Viet Nam approved by the Ministry of Education and Training.
- Applicants must submit a research proposal which is approved by their expected supervisors.
Scholarship and fellowship
USTH offers various scholarships to PhD students who are enrolled at the university, including Scholarship for Excellent Students for PhD students with outstanding academic achievements, Pathway to Success Scholarship for PhD students who graduated from USTH’s Bachelor/Master programs and further their study in USTH’s Doctoral programs, Capacity Building Scholarship for PhD students who are employees of USTH, VAST’s institutes and centers, and USTH’s partner institutions, etc.
Information about scholarships and financial ads can be found at
Applicants have to prepare the following documents:
- Application form.
- Notarized copies of degrees, certificates, transcripts of Bachelor and Master levels. If the degrees, certificates and transcripts are neither in English nor in French, notarized copies must be translated into English. In case these documents are issued by a foreign university, the applicants should include an explanation of the grading system of that university.*
- Valid English certificates.
- Motivation letter of the candidate.
- Updated and detailed resume (CV) including awards and prizes (if any).
- Certificate of employment (if any).
- Consent letters and scientific resumes of proposed supervisors.
- Reference letter(s) (preferably two).
- Research proposal in English (maximum 10 pages).
- List and copies of publications in the research field (if any).
- Other related documents (if any).
*Applicants having completed their Master programs but not yet received their diploma or official academic transcripts can submit a provisional letter of graduation confirmation or academic transcript (notarized copies and translations in English). Successful candidates will be required to submit all those documents to be officially accepted.
Templates can be downloaded at: https://www.usth.edu.vn/en/admission/phd/
Deadline for the first wave of year 2022: August 15th, 2022.
Application dossier submission
The applicant submits the application dossier at the following address:
Room 102, A21 Building
Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology (VAST)
18 Hoang Quoc Viet, Cau Giay, Hanoi
Tel: +84 24 3791 7748
In addition to sending the original dossier to the address above, applicants need to scan the above dossier into PDF files only and not exceeding 6 MB (zip acceptable), and send via email to both of the following addresses: [email protected] (Ms. PHAM Thi Minh Hien) and [email protected] (Doctoral School) with the email title: Admission. PhD-Research field-Full name. Applicants can contact Doctoral School at the phone number +84 24 3791 7748 to be assisted in the preparation and submission of the application dossier.
Please visit https://phd.usth.edu.vn/ to find out more information about USTH doctoral programs.